Wednesday, September 5, 2012

In which I convert the masses with kale pizza...



So I made some kale pizza.  The scene went something like this...

The Mr: what are you making?
Me: pizza…
The Mr: yum!
Me: …kale pizza
The Mr: aww oh no!

But in the end I think I won the sceptics over.  The four-year-old even declared, 'mummy I like kale now! …but only in the oven!' and requested kale topping when I was next making pizzas.  The two-year-old admittedly picked all the kale off and just ate the dough but he is going through a bit of a green food aversion so I probably shouldn't have expected miracles!

I'm not going to give you a pizza dough recipe as I think it's a pretty personal thing.  If you are looking for inspiration I often use this one.

For the kale topping:

3 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions halved and thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves finely slivered
300g kale
100g cheddar grated
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and add the onions.  Once sizzling, reduce the heat to low and cook gently, stirring from time to time, until they are soft and golden, about 10-15 minutes, adding the garlic halfway through.

Shred the kale into 1/2 -1cm wide ribbons.  Stir thm into the onions and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring often, until the leaves have wilted.  Season with salt and pepper.

Spread on your pizza base, top with cheddar and drizzle with olive oil.

Bake for 10-12mins at 250C.

This enough to make 3 pizzas.  The recipe comes from Veg everyday! (I'm a little bit in love with Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment